Monday, August 27, 2012


The “Maine” Event

Was Mainly Fun








(This story also appears at the Courier online site under Member Story.)


The “Maine Event,” the last match of the year for the Rock Coast Rollers, our local Roller Derby team, was in fact “Mainly Fun” for those who came to watch them on August 18, at the Rockport Recreation Center.
I attended the match. It was the first time I have ever attended a Roller Derby event. Laurel Butler-Pierce, PR person for the group, and a skater as well, very graciously gave me VIP seats, including a special badge to wear.
 
It was a bit confusing when I checked in at the VIP table, and it was also confusing as to where VIP seating was; but that was mostly my fault because I was probably the last spectator to arrive at the rec center that night. A very nice gentleman did find me eventually and he found me a nice seat in the appropriate VIP section at the top of the oval right on the floor.
While I’m at it I must give props to the two parking attendants who found me a special spot close to the door because I was walking with my cane. Thanks, guys. I couldn’t have attended the match without your help.
This picture came from “the Scene” magazine for July 2012, which was available at the match and was also signed by three of the skaters on the front cover. As you can see, our team is ready and raring to go on another trip around the rink.
Roller Derby women always have such colorful nicknames. Here’s some of ours: Brawler D. Lite; Mistress of the Knife; RUde Beckla; Roll Doll; Sinner of Gravity; Scarina; Roto Tilda; January Jonesin; Hard Dash; Wheel Crazy; Chain Lynx; Ginny Wheelsley; Ice Cream Truck Full of Angry Bees; Booty Thrasher; Ivana Causepain; 59 Inch Nail (Laurel’s name); Atomic Mauly; Hedda Flame; Schrodinger’s Catfight; Dynamo Daisy; Bristol Smashin’; Sk8 Plisskin; Hurricane Bethany; Mad Madim Mim; Iron Orchid; Sookie Stacked; Oxidizer; VegeMighty Slamwitch; No Heart; Vengeful Vegan; Needle Stix; and Raging Dilemma.
 
As you can see in the picture, some of the skaters have some interesting body markings and colorful costumes. They were all distinctive in their own special ways.
I found the atmosphere corny but fun, almost like the old wrestling shows on TV and also the wrestling audiences I remember at TNN in Atlanta when I worked there years ago. They would fill our parking lot every time the wrestling show was aired. I also enjoyed the antics of the “Jeer Leaders” who kept us entertained in between breaks in the action. They even gave us signs to hold up.

I must admit I don’t understand all the rules of the game yet, but I did get the gist of how points were scored for each team. The announcer that night was very professional and very informative in that respect.
Don’t be fooled though. These women are serious and take their sport seriously. This team is an avocation for them as most have other jobs. They are good at what they do. I didn’t stay until the end of the second match that night; but they lost the first match against Bangor in a tight game and won the second match against Portland.
 
I would recommend a night out to see the Roller Derby to all you folks up in that area. They are the only professional team you have and as such they deserve to be supported by the community. In attendance that night I saw kids as young as eight or nine as well as senior citizens. It’s a fun night for the whole family on a summer evening. I look forward to the next season and hope I can catch another game when I come up on vacation.
Keep rolling, ladies!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment