Monday, August 6, 2012


A Home for the Rock Coast Rollers and More
Thoughts about the need for indoor space for area activities is heating up ever since the demise of the Lincoln Center. I’ve received a couple of ideas from area people lately.
Some paraphrased thoughts from Tim Sullivan on a local multi-use facility:

I’ve been developing thoughts on a multi-use facility in Rockland, a community-teen center/concert venue/indoor skate-bike park/art center/maker-invention workshop, and roller-inline skating-derby rink…maybe with a pool thrown in for good measure. I vision a place where you can learn to play guitar/drums/keys, and then put on a concert for the community.Build a robot and then host a robot competition. Maybe a video game expo, and a permaculture/green fair; and then there’s the creatorium fair Maggi and I put on a couple years ago. Movies on political and social justice. There’s probably more to this than can really be accomplished, but with the demise of Lincoln Street we need to do something for the Rockland youth, and even the middle-aged and elders…Whaddya say we get started!
 
 
From Ron Dyer in response to my Maine Olympics story:
While the Olympics are probably out of the question. I have long believed that the Midcoast/Rockland area needs a large indoor entertainment/convention center venue such as the Augusta Civic Center. The crowds the Blues Festival draws show me that a venue for concerts at least might be warranted. The Strand is excellent for a small venue. Obviously the location for the Blues Festival is part of the draw, but an indoor venue gives you year round options. 
Good ideas guys. For what it’s worth, here’s my view on the subject. My opinions can only be those of an “outsider” at this point. That may change in the future, but meanwhile here’s my two cents worth. My intent here is to put the “vibes” out there so that we can possibly attract some entrepreneurs with deep pockets.
As I see it, this is a big project for the area and may need to be done in stages. Where should it stand? I think the Route One corridor between Rockland and Thomaston is an ideal site. I know there will still be some open land left over after Walmart gets through with it. However, I wouldn’t recommend putting it across from the Cement plant, as the limestone pits go right under the road to the other side in that spot.
If you will remember, a ways back in this blog, I predicted that that corridor would expand commercially. It’s beginning to happen, right?
As for finances, I haven’t a clue where to begin. Maybe it could be a joint project between Rockland and Thomaston or even a county venture. As I mentioned, entrepreneurs would certainly be welcome.
I don’t know how the stages should go, but ultimately I think they should include spaces for the following uses.


1    A permanent home for our Rock Coast Rollers to be combined with a removable skate park for the kids.

2.    A floor that could be frozen during the season for youth/teen/semi-pro hockey teams. Also included should be a place here for figure skating lessons. Maybe we can develop some Olympic teams out of these groups. And yes, an Olympic-sized pool that could eventually host local teams, another way to keep our youngsters busy and out of trouble.

3.    An auditorium that can be made intimate or expanded for large crowds for big concerts and events like the Blues Festival. It would be nice if we had an amateur theater group who could put on plays in the more intimate space the same as Camden does in their facility.

Included here could be space to hold benefits for worthy causes such as auctions and the like; or as a space for community political meetings or debates; or just as a place big enough to hold a big meeting. Maybe we could even rent it out to conventions. Don’t you think it would be nice too if we could revive the old Minstrel shows (minus the black-face) and the Country-Western Shows that used to set up in the old Community Building?
These are just a few ideas. I’m sure you can think of many more. I have faith that through Yankee ingenuity, a grant or two and some way to draw the money men in can be found.
The demise of the Lincoln Center left a big hole in our cultural conscience. Getting some of that community pride back with such a facility would be wonderful for the area I think. We could make room in the new venue for some of the activities that were lost at the Center.

In Gwinnett County where I live we have a huge arena that is used for big concerts; a semi-pro hockey team; and numerous other events. It’s convenient and very popular for people in this area.
I see the new facility in Rockland/Thomaston as a possible future site for traveling shows like an indoor circus or even summer stock. What do you think?

You may ask why we don’t use the Rec Center for more of the activities I mentioned. After all, that auditorium has in the past traditionally been used for many shows and innumerable graduation ceremonies. I have played basketball on that floor; performed on that stage in many dancing recitals with Madeline Drinkwater; and marched down the middle of that floor to graduate from Rockland High School.
The answer to that question is that the folks who run things at the Rec Center don’t want their new and very expensive gym floor to be used for anything but basketball. Can’t say as I blame them.

I hope you will hash this subject over with your friends and community movers and shakers. If I have helped in any way by putting the idea out there into cyberspace, it’s the least I can do .I look forward to seeing what you all can come up with.
Thanks for listening. (I apologize for any format problems you see. The program is acting up today.)










                                                               

3 comments:

  1. From Laurel Pierce, Head of PR/Marketing for Rock Coast Rollers: That was a great article on VS, those of us at Rock Coast Rollers couldn't thank you enough for your thoughts and ideas, and getting it out to the public! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Molly Harvey: Once the super Wal-mart goes in, maybe we can use the old Wal-mart as the new venue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Bill Packard: I know it's not right in Rockland, but the Thompson Community Center in Union has space available for different organizations. We'd be happy to be a temporary home, or you might like it up here and we could be permanent. Give the office a call to see if we can help.

    ReplyDelete