Tuesday, August 28, 2012


Sneak Peek…New Poem
By Kendall Merriam
 
You’re seeing it here first, folks. Here’s a sneak peek of Kendall’s latest poem which he will be reciting at Whitehall Inn in Camden, Maine, tomorrow, August 29. Please call the Inn at 207-236-3391, for details. Whitehall Inn is where Edna St. Vincent Millay got her start. Born in Rockland, she grew up in Camden and became one of the most important poets in America and the world.
Look for a new blog spot for Kendall beginning next month.
 
WHY I AM FALLING DOWN THESE STAIRS
 
For Edna Saint Vincent Millay
 
As I am floating, wheeling
Down the Steeple stairs
You may wonder why
I am doing this to myself
I am not tired of living
In spite of being captured
By the morphine, booze
I am not ashamed of
What I have written
Even though my body
Was never electric
Had never traveled to Cathay
Some poems will live
My red hair will be remembered
As will my bewitching beauty
I was a star
First seen at Whitehall
1912
One poem the gate
To the Pulitzer
I have had a full life
Many loves, many loves
I defended Sacco and Vanzetti
With my strongest words
I challenged Hitler
And the harm done
To lovely old England
Its all there in my poem
“Conscientious Objector”
Shorn of rhyme
That so many
Newer, lesser poets
Dig my grave with
Perhaps I should
Have drifted out to sea
From my beloved island
Naked, giving my flesh
And bones
To that Atlantic
Which helped my recognition along
This is my intellectual birthday
So, I urge no poets to follow me
Live long, quiet lives
Get published if you can
But if not, be satisfied
With an honorable life
Stay away from the temptation
Of stairs
And live a pleasing life
As a part of an honest Universe
 
Kendall Merriam, Home, 8/27/12   3:44 AM
Listening to the creaking of my father’s table

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment