Monday, August 27, 2012


The Maine Report—2012



 
A front view of the cottage I stayed at while on vacation.
 I believe this was taken by niece, Brenda Peabody.




For my fellow expatriot Maineiacs, I once again make my yearly report of how things stand in the old home town of Rockland, Maine. If you haven’t been there in a while, you will find many changes.

This year my observations show me that the tourist season stayed about the same as last year. I went a little later this year, the week after the Festival, but there were still a fair amount of out-of-town people and “boat people” in evidence.

I volunteered this year at the Maine Boats, Homes & Harbors show. The harbor was full of boats of all kinds, some belonging to the show and some to visitors to the show or other tourists’ boats. The rain didn’t stop the show from enjoying a full house of people every day of the three-day event.

In the old neighborhood of The South End, I took note of the big house, or as I’m told, apartment house, down at the junction of Ocean and Water Streets. There is also an experimental house I discovered which was featured at the Boat Show.

I heard disturbing news that there is a lot of drug activity in the South End. Well, I guess the rep of the old neighborhood continues in that case. However, drugs are never found in just one place these days. Every town in the country seems to be infested with the scourge of drugs. I suspect that you will find bad elements in other parts of the city too, unfortunately.

Local politics are gearing up for the next go-around of city officials. Will it be Brian Harding again or the upstart newcomer who owns and runs the Limerock Inn? The consensus is that if only the two run, the new guy may have a chance; but if three people run, Harding will most likely prevail via a split vote between the other two. We shall see.

I note with pleasure that my plea for more cell phone towers has been answered—well in part anyway. It seems that a new tower was erected in Port Clyde and another one is planned for the area. When I first arrived down at the cottage this year, I could use my T-Mobile Blackberry. Then towards the end of my visit, I could do nothing. When I returned to Georgia, it worked fine, however, today I noted that it isn’t holding a charge very long. Therefore, the problem is probably with my phone and not the absence of a nearby tower. Guess it’s up to see my phone man on Monday.

Another concern I had last year was the state of the roads in mid-coast Maine. Well guess what? The road to Spruce Head, Rt. 73, has been resurfaced. It now also sports a bright yellow line to follow and white lines on the sides. To us from away who are used to a lot of overhead lighting along our regular routes in the city, the addition of these lines is most helpful.

As for other traffic problems in the state, the Wiscasset jam still exists and probably will into infinity. There has to be some solution.

The weather was beautiful for most of the time while I was home which is a good advertisement for the area as a tourist mecca. I still love my Great State of Maine dearly and will always refer to Maine as “home” and a wonderful place to visit. I will continue to encourage people in these parts and across the country who I meet on Facebook daily, to come and enjoy our beautiful state.

That’s the report for this year.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment