Monday, February 14, 2011

Little Girl Unleashed--Guest Blog

I finally found the subject of my old blog “A Visit to Sim’s Lunch.” The following is a recent email I received from Rose Sorbello, who we knew as Rosemarie Malburg back on Mcloud Street in the Southend. When I was about four and she three, I untied her one day and we walked all the way from Mcloud Street to Park Street, where Sim’s Lunch was located, without anyone stopping us.

Hi Sandra,

Well, now I know why that picture of you as a young child looked familiar! {a childhood picture of me I posted on Facebook} Yes, my mother used to tie me outside with a harness and a rope attached to it.

That was me that you untied. My grandmother worked at Sim's, so everyone knew me in there. {In the story, I said it was her uncle. I was mistaken}. My Aunt Rose worked for the Prudential Insurance Company (upstairs from Sadie Marcus Furniture Store}.

I knew it was me because I hated being tied up outside. Yes, she always put me outside--- it was for me to get some fresh air. My mother put me outside in a carriage to sleep (by the back door) when I was just a baby--so I could get fresh air!  

 My mother used to talk about another time that I was tied outside and I slipped out of the red harness and my clothes--and walked up to that pharmacy that was at the end of Water Street (Across South Main Street) and climbed up on the stool and ordered an ice cream cone. I sat there and ate it (while the man who ran that place--called my mother to come and retrieve me!)

{I don’t remember a pharmacy in that location. She may be thinking about Naum and Adams.}

My mother also told of a time that my father was up on the roof doing some repairs and came down the ladder to go get a drink of water in the house. I was again--tied outside and got out of the harness and climbed up the ladder and was walking on the staging board (three flights up). Mrs. Post (Madeline's grandmother {another old friend from the neighborhood}--on the corner) came out to hang out her clothes to dry and saw me and called over to my mother. My father came running out of the house and asked my mother what was wrong and my mother was frozen and pointing up to the roof. My Dad very calmly climbed the ladder and got me. They told stories about that for years. "Remember when Rosemarie"-------

 My mother had eight children, but I was the oldest and I think around that time you were talking about, I had about six siblings.

That was neat that you shared that story with me!--I am sure that was me! I think we were good friends back then! ---If not you would not have untied me!--Ha Ha!
Your old Friend,

"Rosemarie"

Rose, as she is known as now, received a scholarship to Quinnipiac University in Connecticut (one of 400 that applied). She entered the nursing program and worked as a nurse until her retirement. She was a single mom while in nursing school and raised three successful children. She enjoys traveling now when she gets the chance and visits Rockland occasionally to visit family and friends. She now lives in Connecticut.

I’m happy I was able to connect with my Rosemarie once again. We had a lot of fun in the old neighborhood.

The story I wrote about Rosemarie can be found on the 2009 CD of my blogs. It was one of the first blogs I wrote for the old blog site. If you are interested in reading that story and others like it, click on that box on the right.


26 Mcloud Street, where I grew up.
 Rosemarie's house was across the street diagonally from us
.The blinds were blue then and  had a cutout of an anchor in each one. 
 The addition on the side of the house was not there when I lived there.





No comments:

Post a Comment