Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Prayer for the Year





Enough already! Dear Lord, please let up on me just a bit, OK? I have a lot left to do in this life and still have a long bucket list to fill. This is my plea.

Last month I told you what my philosophy in life is: to stand back in that grocery shelf of life and look carefully for what you want so that you don’t miss out on anything.

That philosophy can best be filled by trying my best to fulfill my goals and dreams. I’ve been fortunate to have some fun and unique times in my life. For instance:

Interviewing a convicted lifer serving time for murder.

Travel to the Caribbean, one of my favorite places, as well as other places south of us.

Attending two World Fairs, in Montreal and New York.

Attending the championship Final Four for the NCAA Women’s Basketball league. I got to see Connecticut and Tennessee, the two biggest rivals in women’s NCAA basketball. That was the team of Diana Terasi. (Sorry if the spelling is wrong). She had the biggest grin on her face I ever saw from her. Pat Summit threw a chair on to the floor because she was so frustrated. She said later she wanted to go to UConn’s graduation so she would know for sure that those seniors were finally gone from her life.

Going to NYC to watch Nanci participate in the game show, “Who Wants to be a Millionaire”. Regis was still host then. She didn’t get into the chair but we had a wonderful weekend in the Big Apple, which included the first day of spring. The best part, it was free!

Attending the World Figure Skating Championships in Hartford. I got to see a lot of the skaters I had watched live before in regionals in the area. I was an avid skater myself at the time. The highlight for me was the breathtaking performance of “Bolero” by the ice dancers, Torvil and Dean of Great Britain.

Attending the Olympics here in Atlanta. What a week that was. I got to see a baseball game between China and Australia; a softball game between the US and I think China also; a women’s basketball game between Japan and Russia which was hysterical. It was like watching a high school team play. The most fun was to see all the people from all over the world and collecting pins to save (which I still have). It was the first time that cell phones were used to any extent here in Atlanta so that families could keep in touch with each other in the huge crowds.

Oh, by the way, I almost got arrested when I had a panic attack on the train downtown. I suffer from claustrophobia and was not happy about the last person trying to push themselves onto the train. A cop rushed up to me when I put my hand out to push the person back. She wasn’t happy.

I must also include the outstanding events I have been privileged to be part of. Like my graduations from High School, Washington State Teachers College, and Fairfield University; and all the weddings I’ve been part of.

So those are some of the highlights of my life so far. Some of my goals and dreams are still pending. I did fulfill one of them however, to leave something behind that people will remember me by. My book, “The South End” has accomplished that I think. It will always be in the Library of Congress; in some libraries; and on many people’s bookshelves. I hope to write more that will end up in the same three places.

More bucket list items include:

Travel to Hawaii and Australia.

Attending the Rose Bowl Parade in Pasadena, California on New Year’s Day.

Attending a WNBA championship series.

A trip to Harry's World at Universal in Orlando, Florida.

Moving back to Maine.

Getting in touch with more friends from my past.

Attending the Ellen DeGeneris show.

Being a contestant on “Wheel of Fortune”. I went downtown in the middle of summer to stand in a line to try to get onto the show. They never called my name to go up and try out a fake show so I went home tired, very hot, and very disappointed. Anyone got any pull in that regard?

Finding an agent to find a producer for the movie version of my book. Any ideas?

I know I will think of many more things to put on my list as soon as I post this story, but you get the idea, right? Do you have any of these things on your own bucket list?

Thanks for listening.





No comments:

Post a Comment