Monday, November 11, 2013

Norma Boothby, our Friend and Teacher


The Class of ’59 at RHS recently lost one of its most beloved teachers, Mrs. Norma Boothby. She and husband Hamilton Boothby, our former principal, were always attendees at our class reunions and we will miss talking to them at those occasions from now on.

We knew her in high school as Mrs. Tiffany. She taught us French, Spanish, English and American History over a span of 22 years.

She was one of the younger teachers at RHS during our tenure--between 1956-1959. She was just 31 when she taught us. Only Alice Knight and Catherine Duncan of the Home Economics Department and Alton Cole of the Social Studies Department were possibly younger. Mr. Cole, as I remember, was only about four or five years older than the class of ’59.

Mrs. Tiffany was a beautiful woman inside and out. I’m sure there were more than a few admirers among her male students. She was always ready with a smile and some good advice.

Although I never took French, which she taught during my high school years, she became a good friend on occasion when I’d get a letter from my French pen pal in Toulon, France. My pen pal didn’t speak or write English nor I speak or write French. Why did I have a French pen pal in the first place? I think I acquired Claudie from my twin cousin, Diane, one year. I think she also had a French pen pal; however, she also studied French at the time.

In any event, I was delighted when Mrs. Tiffany very graciously offered to read my letters from Claudie for me.

We were very surprised and at the same time happy when Norma married our beloved principal, Hamilton Boothby in 1971. Mr. Boothby’s first wife passed away and we were delighted to see two of our favorite people find each other. They were married for 37 wonderful years and we all enjoyed seeing their smiling faces every class reunion time.

If you have a special memory of Norma Boothby to share with us, please email me at southendstories@aol.com. If you would like to leave a memory or share a condolence you can also visit her Book of Memories at www.bchfh.com.

Here is a picture of the French Club and its activities from the Cauldron of 1959 I thought you’d enjoy:
 
First Row: D. Harden, S. Peterson, G. Ladd, Mrs. Tiffany, P. Wade, E. Ilvonen, D. Gregory;Second Row: V. Pine, B. McKinney, C. Sulin, C. Bird, K. Argyle, B. Billings, G. Henderson, R. Jackson, H. Epstein, N. Spaulding;Third row: E. Batty, J. Rapose, F. Loring,  l. Mountfort, K. Harvey, C. Simmons, S. Fowler, S. Noyes, P. Newbert, R. Dow; Fourth Row: D. Rush, P. Nevers, W. Heath, R. Hentley, D. Barstow, W. Johnson, S. Blackman, C. Cross
 
The French Club as pictured in the 1959 Cauldron. Norma (Tiffany) Boothby is in the center of the first row. She reorganized this club in November of 1958. Officers were: President, Gail Ladd; Vice President, Pat Wade; Treasurer, Elsa Ilvonen; Secretary, Sandra Peterson; and along with David Gregory and David Harden comprised the executive committee.
That year the club sponsored an importer of French “Santons”—miniatures from the nativity scene. A small crèche was purchased for the French room. Such an activity probably would not be accepted today.
The members also sold telephone book covers (why would you need one?) to raise money for a slide projector for the language classes and for the annual $100.00 scholarship.
Two members of the club who were of the Class of ’59 have since passed away also: Pat Wade and Priscilla Newbert. They are all missed.


 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment