Monday, July 30, 2012

Maine



 Olympics?


If you’ve read my account of my experiences while attending the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, you will know that I have my own ideas about hosting the Olympics in Maine, more specifically coastal Maine.

Seriously, now. Other small venues have existed for the Olympics. Lillehammer, in Norway, comes to mind. Also, as I have mentioned in “My Olympics,” not all venues are held in the same place anyway. Coastal Maine could at least host the water end of things for an Olympics.

Money aside, venue building aside, here’s my ideas.

As for accommodations, traffic problems: Portland would be our best bet for accommodations and act as a staging area for daily commutes to our area for events. We could also let them handle the venue for all the swimming events.
The only thing I see us building is a humongous bleacher area facing the Breakwater down at the Landing. Then if we shut down Main Street for all the Olympic vendors, entertainment, etc. we’d be all set. Charge vendors to use the space of course. We could also set up an area for medal ceremonies.
As for events, I have some ideas there too.

The skull rowing events could be held in any number of lakes in the area or even one of the many rivers. How about the Kennebec? The Allagash could even be used for kayaking.
Our own waterfront would be perfect I think for many events already in the Olympics and some I think could very well be added. Here’s my list to add to the yachting events that would be held in our harbor:
Paddleboard jousting, which will be done in the Maine Boats, Home and Harbors this year.
Boatyard Dog events, also held at the MBHH show. It would be our own version of all the Equestrian events currently held at the Olympics.
Real rowing events in real rowboats.

Lobster boat racing.

And the best and most fun of all: Lobster Crate Racing. It already is an international event, after all, according to its advertising.
I’m sure you could think of many more.
Rockland is already internationally known as a wonderful place to visit. This is the next step as I see it.
Although this blog was all written in fun, think about it. Wouldn’t you just love to see us get some of the action? Maybe not? What do you think?
Thanks for listening.










1 comment:

  1. From Ron Dyer: While the Olympics are probably out of the question. I have long believed that the Midcoast/Rockland area needs a large indoor entertainment/convention center venue such as the Augusta Civic Center. The crowds the Blues Festival draws show me that a venue for concerts at least might be warranted. The Strand is excellent for a small venue. Obviously the location for the Blues Festival is part of the draw, but an indoor venue gives you year round options.

    ReplyDelete