Thursday, January 19, 2012

Losing Friends

It is with a sad and heavy heart that I must report the passing of my dear friend, Hedi Bak, who I wrote about in this month's blog. I learned of her death recently when I spoke to the folks up at Gallery 4463 up in Acworth, Georgia. They had displayed her work and I found her on the internet through this art gallery.

Hedi died of a massive heart attack in 2010, so I was two years too late in locating her again. As far as I knew she was still in Africa with her second husband, Charles Counts. Counts died in Africa after a short illness at which time Hedi returned to this area.

I have lost a few friends over the years, who died too soon from devastating illnesses. Hedi did lead a full life as I believe she was in her 80s at the time of her death.  I wish we could have had her a while longer, however. I believe that she and her first husband, Bronislaw, were able to accomplish a great deal in their adoptive country as naturalized citizens of the United States. 

I hope that the story I posted on Hedi will bring some comfort to her sons. She was a dear friend for the brief time that I was privileged to know her.

We sometimes meet some remarkable people as we pass through this life. Hedi Bak was certainly one of them. We are fortunate that her art lives on. I only hope that she was able to write her memoirs, which she had hoped to do. If so, I will be anxious to read her words. So long, my dear friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment