Monday, December 16, 2013

 
 
Changing Christmas Card Lists
Everyone keeps a Christmas Card List. I pack the cards I receive every year with the Christmas decorations so I know who to send them to the following year.
Family forms the basis of this list. As the family grows and names change via marriage, you find yourself scrambling to get all the new addresses. I think I’ve got all but one of those family members this year.
As the years go by you add people you meet or subtract those people you’ve lost track of or can’t find. Often the last card you sent comes back to you so that you no longer have an address for that person.
This year I note that I am sending cards to 13 different states from Alaska, Washington State and Oregon to Pennsylvania and Illinois to all along the East Coast from Florida to Maine. The complete list also includes Massachusetts, New Jersey, Connecticut, Arizona, New Hampshire, and Georgia.
I have kept track of and sent a card along with news to one friend for over 50 years. We met in Church Camp when I was 14 or so. I’ve seen her kids grow up; the arrival of her grandchildren; the death of her husband; and pictures of her summer home in Florida. We’ve met now and again over those years and I consider her to be a true friend.
I also get a kick out of some of the addresses I send these cards to. You can almost tell what area of the country it is by the non-state part of the address. Here are some of the more interesting ones: Winters Trail; Schooner Dr.; Dog Point; Cranberry Island; Juniper’s Way; Beech Hill; Box Turtle Lane; Maple Drive; Ash Point Dr.; Buttonwood Dr.; Hummingbird Rd.; Crooked River Ranch; Deerfield Beach; Port Road. I love it when I have a street name from nature like many of these are.
My own family and some of my friends have had to really struggle to keep up with the many addresses I’ve had over the years, God bless them. They always manage to find me somehow. Of course now that we have the internet and Facebook, keeping in touch has become much easier.
I sent my cards out yesterday. Have you sent yours yet? Better get on it.
Merry Christmas to everyone and thanks for listening.

 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment