Monday, April 1, 2013


The Hilton Homestead
 
 
The Hilton Homestead, in Bremen Maine, is the latest guest blog to join us here on “On Being a Southender.” Mary Sue Hilton Weeks is my cousin. We hope to bring you some historical material and other facets of the Homestead in the months to come. Exciting things are about to happen and we are both excited to bring them to you here.
 
I am living on a 100-acre farm that has been in my family through my great-grandmother's side for over 200 years. My great-grandfather William Bainbridge Hilton bought the farm from his wife Rhoda Little's family, and from then on it was known as the Hilton Homestead. I live next door to the family home where I grew up in the one-room school house where I went to school grades 4 - 8. In 1998 my sister Diane and her husband Lee retired from Washington, DC and took over the family home. They both passed away last year, and having no children, I acquired the family home. This blog is about my progress in trying to deal with it.
 

Mary Sue and I would both like to thank all of you who contributed to the Well Project which made possible a new much needed well on the farm. Mary Sue and her resident farmers were able to reach their goal of $12,000 and more. The well drilling rig came one morning recently at 6:30 a.m. and by 5:30 p.m. they had a new well which produces 10 gallons a minute. The new well will be a boon in the summer when the crops need to be watered.
 
Letter From Gettysburg
This letter is from Thomas Hilton, written to send home during the Civil War. Thomas is writing from the battlefield at Gettysburg as part of the 19th Maine Regiment. He would have been Mary Sue’s great uncle, brother to her great-grandmother, Rhoda Little Hilton. The picture with the letter is of the battle of Gettysburg. The letters Mary Sue found in the Homestead house she gave to the Maine Historical Society in Augusta.
 
 
 
 
The letter reads, as far as I can decipher as:
Heading:
General Hospital, Gettysburg
August. 23, 1863.
Dear Brother,
I received yours of last Sabbath this morning, and was so much pleased to hear of your health and comfort—while those around you are being summoned to the grave. My health and strength are daily improving; if it continues to improve as fast in future as it has for the past month I hope to visit you ….many months.
There are about 1400 (can’t read, looks like patients) here now and as a general thing are doing well; there are exceptions of course; some poor fellows must die; among them I fear will be Willard F. Barslow of Damariscotta. (son of Seth Barstow). I believe it says here something like: He was hurt somehow through the spine and “has a bedsore on his back that is awful to look upon and very offensive in smell (while dressing). The letter continues: I tink Dr. Stonelake has no hopes of his recovery. He seems to be a fine young man (is but 19) and bears his suffering very patiently.
We generally hear all kinds of rumors in the army but I think your letter contained the first I ever heard of Hooker being drunk at Chancell?
I suppose you recollect he was stuned by a shell or something of the kind. If some one who did not know the cause should see him in that condition they would be likely to call him drunk.
I have heard it said that he takes a glass once in awhile, but never used it to excess. I wish it could be said of all our Army officers. That “he is strictly temporate.”
I cannot give you much of an idea of the battlefield for the reason that we were kept out of sight of it lying behind the ridge, until we were called into action, and then our attention was pretty well engaged.
I am not acquainted with drawing, but can give you a little sketch. We get the news this morning, through Reb papers, that Gen. Sumpter must come down! Wishing you prosperity—spiritual and temporal. I will bid you good morning.
Yours   Thos Little (son of William H. Little)
The map explanation is:
I should think the distance across from one ridge to the other from a third to half a mile.
This is not correct as to relative distance and directions but will give you some insight into our position.
 
Become a Member of Crescent Run Farm
If you would like to become a member of Crescent Run Farm, see details at:
They also have different levels of participation. Choose the one that best suits you. Here’s what it says on the site:
Each week we will harvest, wash, and pack your produce to be picked up on the scheduled day. The CSA will run for approximately 17 weeks, between early June and late September, until the value of your share is met. Factors such as climatic conditions, season, and pests can influence the value of an individual pick-up, and the full value of your investment will be met over the course of your membership.
A Note for the Family: If you have pictures of the farm to share, especially one of the family reunions, please email them to me at southendstories@aol.com. Thanks.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment