Wednesday, March 20, 2013


Oh the Cuteness of Our Pets









There is a show on animal planet called “Oh the Cuteness” which follows the births of several litters of dogs or cats up until the time they are adopted into new families. They warn you at the beginning of the program, in a tongue and cheek way, that the cuteness to come may not be suitable for all.
Because you all seemed to enjoy the tribute to our Sonny and because many of my family and friends have lost a beloved pet this year, I thought I’d share some of the pets I see on Facebook every day. Let’s honor both the pets we’ve lost recently as well as honor and celebrate those we now have. I’ve come to discover that most if not all of my friends and family either love animals or love them and have one or two of their own. I believe it’s very true what this picture says.
I do love cats as you know and have had several families of them, but I also appreciate dogs and the people who have big hearts who adopt them. I’ll feature both here.
This year, my great-nephew, Nicholas, lost his beloved Noah. These pictures were taken last year as he played with the three rescued dogs that were part of their family.
 
I believe this one is Noah.

This is Nicholas’ newly adopted dog which I think came from the Underhound Railroad which rescues dogs from kill centers here in Georgia and brings them north to be adopted. His name is Latte.
 
Here's Latte with one of the other family dogs, his new buddy.
 
My friend, Pat Pendleton, up in Maine, also has an Underhound family member named Bella. Here she is enjoying a play date with her pals.
 
 
 
 
My Facebook friend, Robin Robinson, recently posted this story from “Cattabulous Cats” about the creation of cats which I enjoyed very much.
 
 
 
Robin recently lost her beloved cat, Sassy. Here’s some pictures of her family cats.
 
 
Here’s Sweet Pea and Miss Kitty. Don’t know which is which.
 
 
 
Here’s the newly adopted member of the Robinson family. Don’t know the name or sex.
Robin has Clydesdale horses which are working horses. I don’t doubt that they are also family members to her. She has a carriage business for weddings and other events. She had two Clydes named Bud and Brew. Bud died this year. When you have a pair like that, like our Butch and Sundance, it’s harder to lose one of them I think.
Another Facebook friend, Becky Brobst has a female cat that just had a new litter of three kittens. Here they are.
 
 
You have to look close to see both black kittens here. Becky says she thinks the two black ones are identical twins as they keep fighting over the same milk spot. Oh, the cuteness!
My friend, Deanna Conary, from up home, sent me pictures of her cats.
 
 
This is a dark grey and white named Duckie.
 
This is, as Deanna says, “a deluded tiger” named Seeker.
Let’s not forget our boat yard dogs.
 
 
This is the Boat Yard Dog champion, Otter, a black Lab mix, from last year at the Maine Boats, Homes & Harbors Show. He was the only dog in the competition that would actually go into the water which was one of the tricks they had to do that day.
 
 
Meet another black Lab, Radar. He hails from Baton Rouge but spends a lot time on Clary Lake in Jefferson, Maine in the summer. He doesn’t like being “in” the water, but enjoys being “on” the water. He’s a rescue who was saved in 2004 by the girls of his family who found him wandering the neighborhood all skin and bones. Radar has a brother, Paco Taco, also a rescue who was found in the same way. Paco Taco was in the Boat Yard Dog show last year with Otter.
 
 
 
 
Don’t forget the Boat Yard Trials at the MBH&H Show this August. If you’d like to participate, go to their site to sign up.
I call the following picture “Man and his Dog.” It was taken a few summers ago down at Sandy Beach in the Southend. Looks like they were having fun on a nice sunny summer day in Maine, doesn’t it.
 
If you have a favorite picture of a family pet you’d like to share, please send it to southendstories@aol.com. If I get enough response, I may start a new monthly feature of those “Oh So Cute” pals of ours.
I’d like to share a picture my brother, Harlan, painted of three of my cats who have gone now. I still remember all of them. The tiger is Willie, Sissy, the Manx, is curled up in my shirt, and the Calico is Tiny.
 
 
Animals can add so much to your life. I encourage you to go to a shelter somewhere and take a furry one home with you. Having an animal around should be part of everyone’s life experience. They will be part of your good memories forever.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment