Sunday, May 27, 2012


Remembering our Freedom

On this Memorial Day I invite you to read from my archives of this blog, “Our Civil War Legacy” and “Honoring Our Civil War Heroes” from the May 2011 blogs.
Today I leave you with some images that remind us of what the day is all about; who we honor; and what freedom means to us. I hope you will honor the day in some manner whether it’s to attend a parade, put flowers and flags on the graves of our fallen military heroes; throw a wreath on the water to honor those lost at sea; or flying your own flag at your home.

The Rockland parade starts at 10:30 am tomorrow. It will travel down Main Street and stop at Chapman Park for a ceremony. Please salute the flag for me as the parade passes by you.
I also offer this YouTube video of how the New World Trade Center will look in 2013.

 
This photo from Rockland History Facebook page is a Memorial Day Parade in Thomaston in the 1800s.



This sheet music photo also comes from the Rockland History Page. We don't know where the actual music that goes with the cover is, however.

This is a picture probably from a Memorial Day parade down our Main Street. This is the Port 'O Rockland Drum and Bugle Corps. I played snare drum in the corps eventually, but I wasn't a drummer at this time. More likely I was in the drill team.


Finally, I hope you will smile when you remember your special veteran on this day. This picture of my brother, Harlan, in Hawaii in front of the USS Arizona memorial site He was a proud veteran of the United States Air Force. I smile today in remembrance of him.




Enjoy your holiday. Don't forget to display "Old Glory," our symbol of freedom, our American flag!




No comments:

Post a Comment