Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Lucy Farnsworth, another woman in our History--Guest Blog



I credit fully my friend Tim Sullivan for saving my blogging life and finding this video for me because I inadvertently forgot our own Lucy Farnsworth in my list of Women in History in our local area yesterday. Thanks, Tim.

The video can be viewed on YouTube. It is called "Lucy's Gift Trailer" and is very well done. It is available for sale at shop.farnsworthmuseum.org. YouTube will not let me upload it here. Go to YouTube or catch it on the Rockland, History Facebook page. Tim posted it there. However here is the type which also appears on YouTube with the video.

"Since its opening in 1948, The Farnsworth Art Museum has been a source of community pride and a beacon that draws visitors to Rockland each year.
"Told through first person interviews with Rockland natives and residents, historical photographs and footage, the film follows the museum's growth from the reading of Lucy Farnsworth's will, through the construction of the museum facility, to the internationally renowned institution that it is today."
By the way, I would show you a picture of Lucy, but as far as I know, none still exist because she was an eccentric person who scratched out her image on all the family photos. If you have or can find a picture of her I'm sure the museum would pay you good money for it.
Lucy gave us a wonderful legacy in the museum.  It is an asset Rockland truly appreciates. Folks come from all over the world to wander through the museum and also now to see the Andrew Wyeth museum and the Olson House. I think she would be very pleased. Thank you, Lucy.







No comments:

Post a Comment