Monday, December 19, 2011

Santa's Mailbox

Did you ever write a letter to Santa when you were a kid? I always loved to read what the kids had to say when they printed their letters in The Courier Gazette. It was a tradition that the new newspaper didn't see fit to continue. Too bad. Some of these kids you could cry for. I always wondered what happened to them.  I found these letters on the backside of an article I had saved. The date was December 2, 1980. The kids who wrote them would now be in their 30s or there about. We know some of their ages because they gave their ages at the time in their letters. Are you one of the writers below? If you are I would like to hear your story. What are you doing now? Do you have kids of your own who write letters to Santa? Email me at southendstories@aol.com. I'd love to hear from you and I hope you'll give me permission to print your story here.

By the way, I scanned the actual head in Old English type that the Courier used. It will be familiar to a lot of you.  I think there was someone at the Post Office who answered some of these letters. Many towns had post offices who did that very thing. Enjoy the letters. I will type them exactly as they were printed, typos, misspellings and all.


Rockland
to Santa
     I Plan on Leaving you some Cookies and milk you can Leave my Brother andI Bikes.  I hope you can find your way to Rockland I saw you on the Fire Truck. at 9 a.m.
Love,
xxxxx

Thomaston
Dear Santa
     I hope you hada nice year like I did. I got a new baby brother in June. For christmas I would like a egos and a cake baking set and a Barbie Doll and Clothes. I can'twait until next Christmas because my grammie and grampie who live in S.C. are coming back here to live. I have never had christmas with them before. I Love You, santa

Rockland
     Dear Santa if I were a rech boy. I would not have Christmas. I would give all my mony to the needy people I live at xx Park Street. I have been a good boy. I hope you come to my hose at Christmas night.

Rockland (This writer would be 38 today)
Dear Santa
     I am xxxxx I live at Rockland I am 7 for crismis I wod like a new sweater and tenspeed and toy oven and a toy sink
Love, xxxxx

Rockland
Dear Santa Claus,
     I wish that my grandfather could have a good. Christmas.  Cause his wife died two days ago before Thanksgiving.  My grandfather is verry sad will you bring him a pipe. Maybe that will make him happy again. And I would like to have some STAR  WARS figures pleas and thank you.
from,
xxxxx

Rockland (This writer would be 36 today, probably a female)
     My name is xxxxx I am 5 years old I go to McLain school. i love you i would like to have a tessie talk a snappy shots camera and a love and touch baby merry Christmas.

Rockland (This writer would be 36 today, probably a female)
Dear Santa i am 5 years old I love you I want a big amx doll I will leave some milk and COOKIE for reindeer a carrot. 
LOVE
xxxxx

Rockland (This writer would be 37 today)
DEAR SANTA MY NAME IS XXXXX AND I LIVE ON OLD COUNTY ROAD ROCKLAND. I AM 6 AND GO TO MCLAIN SCHOOL I WOOD LIKE TO HAVE DOLLY POPPS CANDYLAND AND SLIDE WILL LEAVE YOU A TREET I LOVE YOU XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO P.S. DO NOT FORGET MOM AND DAD

Put your thinking caps on everyone. I hope to hear from you soon. Now I have to go and write my own letter to Santa.


Thanks for listening.


















No comments:

Post a Comment