Monday, December 5, 2011

Christmas Cards and Writing








Merry Christmas, 2011










The day after Thanksgiving, my thoughts turn to the writing of Christmas cards to send to family and friends. I came across this card from my cousin, Diane, who passed away this Thanksgiving, which she sent me last year. I love when I get cats on my Christmas cards. Everyone I know knows how much I love that animal and they will often send me cards with a cat on it. I happen to love this one that Diane sent me and I will probably find a little frame for it later on.


It gives you a start when you come across the handwriting you’ve come to recognize over the years and know you will never see that “hand” again except in the old letters you have kept. I’m so glad I have the handwriting of my family members who have passed away. If you put samples of their “hand” in a big pile with no identification, I could pick out those of my mother especially; my brother Harlan; Diane; and many others.

I put my friend, Lucy, who I have relocated this year, in that category. When we were both teaching, she would adorn her students’ papers with her distinctive big artistic swirling “hand.” I would recognize her handwriting anywhere I see it today.

Which brings me to a particular gripe I have about Christmas cards and writing in general. I regret that some of my friends resort to online Christmas cards instead of actually sending me a card I can discover with much happiness in my mail box. While the graphics and animation of emailed cards are fun to see, I still get a thrill when I see that “extra special” mail in my box over the Christmas holidays.

It takes me several days to finally get all my cards written out, with a note or two added here and there because my hands tighten up after a while with arthritis. I get them all done eventually though. I apologize ahead of time for the scrawl that sometimes appears on my cards.

Another gripe I have is the fact that many children are not taught how to write cursively anymore. The computer has spawned a generation of kids who can barely write at all. Not only kids, but some adults today write everything they have to write in the course of a day in block type, not cursive. Why? My big question is this, if you print out your signature on a contract or some official paper instead of writing it cursively, is it legal? Just saying. Anyone have an answer to that question?

Now that I have gone on several tangents here, I would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Unfortunately, I cannot send my loyal readers a handwritten Christmas card. Therefore, please look for a special card on an upcoming blog. It’s the best I can do. Happy card writing.

Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment