Wednesday, January 1, 2014


Kendall Merriam was born and raised in Rockland, Maine. He has a history degree from Gordon College in Wenham, MA and graduate studies in military and maritime history at the University of Maine at Orono and Mystic Seaport in Mystic, Conn. He also received grants to study historical research at Colonial Williamsburg and the National Archives in Washington, D.C. Merriam has been widely published, including in Katyn W Literaturze(Katyn in Literature), a Polish anthology of literary works about the WWII Katyn Forest Massacre by 120 international authors, including Czeslaw Milosz. Merriam has written more than twenty books and plays. Most of Merriam’s work has a definite muse – family, friends, and strangers – with life’s larger themes of work, love, loss and death. On April 29, 2010, Merriam was appointed Rockland, Maine’s Inaugural Poet Laureate, an honor from his hometown Merriam cherishes.

SNOW MOON

For Shubhra

A foot of heavy shoveling snow                       
every time clouds
let down their
heavy white tears
after shoveling, supper
a walk in the crisp moonlight
wearing boots, not sandals
kids sliding up the street
something I did at age ten
and came back
to the same warm house
with moon looking in on
a worn carpet
where now we have
bare spruce wood
Thai elephants
and calla lilies
from the supermarket
our two tiny tigers
prefer the heat
after years outside
someday, in full moon
you will meet them

Kendall Merriam, Home, 12/16/13  6:42 PM
Listening to a CD “Folk Songs of the World”

SOLSTICE MOON

                     For Ruth Barnett

As we were walking
To Joan’s house
For a pre-Christmas dinner
The full moon rose
A golden globe
Up from the harbor
Now, later on, it’s silver
Casting its light
On three feet of snow
Tomorrow we leave for Florida
I wonder if they have
A moon there
To glisten over the orange tree
In Nick’s backyard
In whose house we will be staying a week
He told us on the phone yesterday
It was in the 80’s
Here it was 6 degrees
And the plumes of sea smoke
Reminded Phyllis of of pictures
She had seen of Old Faithful
There are so many
Moon sightings
On Mechanic Street
I fill books with them
I think you are in England
Doing important work
For the Roma and Sinti
What do they offer you
As moon lore
Please write and tell me
So I will be accurate

Kendall Merriam, Home, 12/18/13   10:46 PM
Listening to Phyllis feed Girl Cat

SKY RIDE

Did Li Bai
anticipate airplanes
or did he fly on
heated yellow wine?
Would he be able
to dash off a poem
above the clouds
and receive bags
of silver
from merchants
who cannot write
but want something
to prize
for a long life?


Kendall Merriam 12.26.2013
Aboard Southwest Airlines between Orlando and Baltimore

POEM FOR VLADIMIR MAYAKOVSKY

I’ve sent poems to this town twice
They were ripped up
By girls who didn’t know
How to put a bullet through the heart
Here in my black and yellow blouse
You laugh at the radish
And don’t know the hole
You tore in my undershirt
I don’t curse you, you unknowing
You who have lost the key
To my identity
I am just filing a complaint
To the Complaint Bureau
To get back my poems
Since I still own the literary rights
You, Brik
And you, Lila
You have stolen my words
And for what
Not the revolution
You don’t care a fart for that
Not that
But to give me grief
And to hold on to some other man’s
Body in a tantric trance
You, your husband, the publisher of goatskin books
Who drinks light beer to my dark
He has never gripped your hair in his face
As I have
Or cupped your Swedish face
In his bad left hand
This town has a jail
And I’ve been in it
And while I told of my orchidectomy
You or some representative of you
Screamed in the next room
“My God, My God, I didn’t know, I didn’t know!”
No you didn’t, how could you
My sweet whisperer of secret prayerbooks
Not found or given to Checka by your husband
If I returned to Kiev
And read your secret prayerbook
On stage with Burluik and the piano
Who would laugh then, these bourgoise
These apple eaters, horse beaters
And if I added my own words to yours
They would knash their teeth to splinters
To hear us fight
Out of loneliness
And not of love
You have offered me nothing but a glimpse
Of your breasts beneath your undershirt
While I have immortalized you
In words
God’s precious ants
If you burnt it up
That’s not my fault
For me,
I’ll have a raspberry liqueur

Kendall Merriam, time, place, date unknown
Published in Contact II  NYC






  

No comments:

Post a Comment