Friday, October 4, 2013

Sonny’s Sunshine Corner
We are finally re-landed into our new apartment within the same apartment complex. The worst part is getting everything working again, including our bundle of phone, internet and television. AT&T gave us TV the very next night which was great. It was all downhill from then on. I sat here waiting on “the man” who finally came at the end of the day yesterday to install the phone and internet. Phone was easy, but guess what, again we had to buy another device to make the internet work. Seems this part of the complex uses a high-speed modem unlike the router we used at the other place. Therefore, he could not plug us in. They could have told us ahead of time, right? Therefore, Nanci ran around finding a modem to plug into our router and spent three hours installing same when she got home from work last night. Seems she didn’t plug in one phone cord so it took her all that time. Today, guess what? The phone is out of order. I give up.
On top of all that, Butchie is not happy. This darn place doesn’t smell the same even though we brought his favorite blanket along. The fact that strange peeps have been in and out of here to fix one thing or another doesn’t help. He doesn’t like company very much. So he follows us around crying and we are at a loss as to how to please him.  He really looks like this picture lately. We call him Pissy MaGee lately. Any suggestions?
Understandably I am behind the eight ball this month as to the blog. I’m working furiously trying to catch up. Please be patient.


Sister Sara checked in to comment on my blog “Living in the Rainbow Village.”
I just read your blog on our racial upbringing so to speak. I too, have recently felt very badly that I wasn't more informed in what was going on in my own country during the early civil rights movement. Let’s face it we grew up very lily white and to be honest had quite bigoted people around us. I recently saw The Butler and realized that took place when I was in my 20's and I should have been more aware. Jerry (her husband) was in the service. We were in GA when MLK was murdered and everyone in our family called to see if we were all right. So sad that this country could treat people so badly.

Sara also mentioned that a friend of hers from Ellington, CT is reading my book, The South End, which Sara lent her. She says it is like taking to Sara. Sisters we are indeed. Sara's friend has never been to Maine, is not familiar with the people, but felt right at home in my book. That makes me happy. Writers always hope they can reach the wider audience with their work.
We will have the usual columns this month as soon as I can manage to post them. Ted and Kendall will have their columns. I have already posted Thomaston Library Events; museum event that happens today “whew”; a Halloween decoration idea; and Fall recipes. I don’t know what all I’ll add this month, I’ll make it up as I go along.
If you have a story to tell, please email it to me with a recent picture of yourself if you have one to: www.southendstories@aol.com. I will post it on the blog.
Readership has reached 34,055; plus 1,021readers in 20 days. That’s not taking into account the Village Soup site which continues to grow. Thank you for your support and please continue to hit the ads on the right side of the blog.
Hang on, everyone, hopefully it’s all downhill from here on. See you here next month.





No comments:

Post a Comment