Tuesday, October 8, 2013

 
 

A Special Appeal from Kendall

After Kendall’s trip to Poland and his return home, he received this email from a Polish friend he made while he was there. Kendall says a friend who knows the English government said these records are under the control of the Ministry of Defense Archives/Whitehall/London/W1. He appeals to all of you to help open up these vital records. Remember while you are reading that this is a Polish person writing in English, a foreign language to him.


A correction from Kendall:

Dear Sandra, Just a small correction to your wonderful blog.  I have never met Dr. Rygiel. His comment came to me by snail mail in 2008.  I had lost my copy but my translator, Renata Siuzdak, did have. a copy which she sent to me while I was in Poland—Kendall.
 

Friday, February 22, 2008 12:14 PM

Subject: Katyn

 

Dear Kenny, I just completed reading all your works and hurry to share with you my

Impressions.

Undoubtedly you deserve most sincere gratitude and acknowledgement for the interest and compassion you have for the victims of Katyn in particular for the only women-heroine, Janina. It is certainly uncommon to find a non-Pole being so deeply emotionally involved in matters so distant and foreign to him and to take upon himself an enormous task of finding the sources, contacts, overcome immense difficulties in language and many more. I salute and praise you. And I appreciate very much your kindness in sending me your works and the book on Katyn. Personally I have had no opportunity, or chance to learn more about Katyn, except the common facts and data’s.

My life was someway delimitated since year 1941, when I was arrested by the Gestapo for involvement in the underground activities and as a 15 year old boy incarcerated in Auschwitz. In 1943 I was transferred to another concentration camp in Neuengamme, which in April of 1945 was evacuated to Lubbock. There about 7 thousand of polish prisoners were put on two German ships Cap Arcona and Thielbeck and anchored 5 km of shore. On the 3rd of May British RAF planes attacked and sunk both ships which resulted in death of about 7 thousand of Poles.

This, the largest sea catastrophe in history is practically unknown to the world, mainly because of moratorium of first of 50, then of 100 years on all materials re. Cap Arcona and Thielbeck. All attempts to throw some light on this scandalous and compromising piece of history were left unanswered. So much for the history.

Frankly I have no desire to go back to these times and happenings, right now I am concentrated on my domestic situation, my wife being seriously ill and myself having severe health problems. At 82 my chief desire is to enjoy the remaining years(?) in peace, far from all horrifying and painful experiences, and drama of wars and human cruelty. I will retain the book on Katyn however with many thanks and words of friendship. I also submit a cheque for 60 can dollars, which hopefully will cover the expenses. So long, and good luck in your endeavours, and thanks again, Witold.  (In handwriting) P. S. Best regards to your kind wife and you. Feb. 22. 2008.Witold


I have added a YouTube video here which is a documentary of the Katyn Forest Massacre mentioned at the beginning of the email. There are a total of 9 videos covering this event on YouTube. Be warned, this one is graphic—Sandra

 



 
 
 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment