Monday, October 1, 2012



Sonny’s Sunshine Corner

As Sonny writes this column this month, “On Being a Southender” is closing in on 17,000 hits. The 1,000 reach each month continues. From your comments it seems that you all really enjoy reading the stories I bring to you.
The best part of writing this blog is that once in a while I meet up with an old Southender or someone who is a Mainiac living elsewhere. This month I had the pleasure of meeting up with Randall Achorn of the old neighborhood and his lovely wife, Susan. There were a lot of Achorns in the old neighborhood. I went to school with Bobby Achorn. Welcome to Southend Stories, Randall and Susan. I also continue to hear from an old fan of this space, Bill Pease. Thank you for your kind comments, Bill.
I would like to make a correction from last month’s Sonny’s Sunshine Corner. The way I wrote the sentence it appears that I called Kendall Merriam’s new book, “A Walk Back in Time.” In fact, that is the title of one of the stories I wrote for the blog space. The correct name of his book is The Light Relaxes into Evening. Speaking of Kendall, look for two new poems from him in his new guest blog space.
I wrote another member story for the Courier in September. “And the Band Plays On” which I also included in the blog space with an accompanying video, I also posted to the Courier member story site. To date it has received over 200 hits on that site plus it continues to be read at the blog site. The Mid Coast Community Band is celebrating 25 years and their book about their experiences, “And the Band Plays On” is on sale now. Monies will be used to keep the band going by paying for such things as sheet music and the upkeep of their flatbed truck which they use for parades. Please support this wonderful band.
This month look for the possible new guest blog of a chef who came from the Southend. Not promising, but negotiations are in the works. Also look for a story on the fire in Acadia National Park in 1947. It's the 65th anniversary of that terrrible time this year. I will bring you a scary story or two in honor of Halloween too.
As for my personal health. New medicine has alleviated, somewhat, nighttime leg cramps. I have begun to walk around the block again as a way to strengthen my legs. Here’s hoping.
For now Sonny says, “See you next month.”


 
 


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment