Monday, October 29, 2012


Autumn Scenes…
Storm’s a Coming
 

As I share these pictures with you, a storm, maybe the storm of the century, named “Sandy,” is headed for New England. It doesn’t look like it will hit the Maine coast, but other areas of New England will most likely be hit pretty hard.
I’m not sure what I think about such a bad storm being named after me. If it’s as bad as Katrina was in the south, no one is going to want to name their kids Sandra or Sandy for a long time. That part of the event is fine with me. There are too many Sandras already I think.
My heart goes out to my great-nephew, Nicholas Ruddy, up in Connecticut. The storm will probably wash out his Halloween trick-or-treating for a second year. His mother says he is going to a Halloween party today, so at least he’ll have that way to celebrate the holiday every kid loves. (See Nicholas below.)
I have a question about the foliage up that way though. Not all of the leaves have turned yet and storm watchers say up to two inches of snow could fall in some areas. Snow usually falls after all the leaves have fallen from the trees. If trees that still have all their leaves on them get hit with heavy snow, the weight of that snow could bring the whole tree down. If the leaves on that tree haven’t turned color yet, there goes the bright, colorful foliage in that area for this year. That would be a shame.
With that scenario in mind I bring you fall pictures from two of my readers. Enjoy these at least and thanks for listening:
The first picture comes from Tim Sullivan. The view is at Beech Hill.
 
These four pictures come from Jean Rowling Monroe:



This is the only trick-or-treating Nicholas, otherwise known as “The Nickelman” will have. Does he look happy to you? The second picture shows the family generator behind Nicholas which can run everything in the house if necessary, courtesy of Grandpa Jerry, the engineer.
 
 
If you have more fall pictures to share please send them along to me in an email to southendstories@aol.com.
 
(sorry about the extra picture below. Darn program won't let me delete it)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment