Friday, June 1, 2012


Sonny’s
Sunshine
Corner


Sonny’s corner may not be so sunshiny this month as I have a few gripes to air here. More on that later.

Another technical glitch has appeared in the past month. Evidently, my blogs are no longer posted to my South End Stories Facebook page automatically. I have, therefore, been posting them separately along with the posting on the Village Soup site. I still forward the blog to FB and it does appear there OK.

You can reach the South End Stories page without going to the blog first by using the new URL: www.facebook.com/SouthendS. I am now posting some items to that page that will not appear on the regular blog site, so check both places to keep up on all the news I have discovered I want to alert you about.

Now for the gripes. Some of the news from the old home town recently has given me cause for distress. After I wrote the blog about the history of lobstering last month, it hurt me to discover that two lobster boats owned by very young boys down Friendship way were vandalized. One of the boys was six years old when he got his lobstering license, the youngest in the state. He’s had his boat since he was 10 and was proud that he was keeping up the family tradition of lobstering. The boats were saved, but the event reminds us that the life of a lobsterman is not always easy. I wish both the boys a good lobstering season.

I noted a story about a whole neighborhood being demolished because the 100 years plus old houses are uninhabitable. The twelve houses on Philbrick Avenue, a short street off Camden Street are owned by Madeline Philbrick. Her grandfather, the late Eugene Philbrick, built them all one by one. The septic systems began to be bothersome which led to Madeline’s decision. Evidently the city has no money to install a sewer system in the area. The old established neighborhood will be missed. Hopefully we will see some new homes built in that area in the future.

Speaking of old buildings, I have been following the saga of the Lincoln Center and its closing at the end of their season. Look for a special blog on that subject. I’m afraid it may have to go the way of the Philbrick houses.

The last gripe I have is about all the flak at Lynn Archer’s restaurant, The Brass Compass, on the corner of Main and Park Streets. The mayor has said you need to read all the pros and cons about the situation. I did and I for one will agree with Lynn here. She has added a lot to the area to attract the summer tourists. She’s willing to work with the city, so why are they spending all that money to “improve” the park? If I were there, Lynn, I would be number 401 on your petition to let you use the space for seating for your restaurant.

Also this month, look for another Fish and Chips column from brother Ted; a guest column- collaboration with sister Sara about summer Maine reading; and a possible blog about Maine and New England foods. Stay tuned, I may get some more inspirations from other sources.




No comments:

Post a Comment