Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Meal Planning With Betty Crocker, 1950






This information comes from Betty Crocker’s Picture Cook Book, © 1950, published by General Mills. This book was used religiously by my mother and the book was passed down to me along with Betty Crocker’s New Picture Cook Book © 1961. The recipe for Ham-and-Egg Pie comes from the first book (see the separate blog). I thought you might get a kick out of the advice given to the obviously perfect housewife in 1950.

SMART HOMEMAKERS SAY:
Planning, preparing, and serving meals is an art which develops through inspiration and thought. And meal-planning is really fun! It may look difficult to the beginner, but like driving a car, swimming, or anything we learn to do without thought or conscious effort, it is a skill which grows easier with the doing.
It’s important to plan a variety of foods for well balanced meals to keep your family well nourished. But above all, be sure those meals are appetizing, attractive, and delicious to eat. For mealtime should help build happy home life.
(I wonder if these quotes below came from real homemakers or were made up by a copywriter at General Mills.)
“My meals are more nutritious since I’ve been planning them ahead. I check in advance the basic foods and the daily needs of my family.”
“Planning meals ahead helps me to save time and energy.”
“I have made the cooking of meals a pleasure and a study rather than a job, and so I enjoy planning each day’s menus.”
“My meals are more interesting since I started planning ahead, because I avoid repetition and plan for variety in color, texture, and flavor.”
I. APPROPRIATENESS
Cut your meal plan to fit: your situation, the occasion, the family needs
“I always remember birthdays and holidays with a special dessert or color scheme.”
“I plan the meals to be healthful for the children, first, and then interesting to adults, without cooking separate menus.”
“We have a five-room bungalow with limited dining space and no help at all; this requires simplicity and informality.”
“I plan my meals with the needs of my young son in mind. I never cook separately for him, but prepare simple foods appropriate for him and then dress them up for grown-up tastes and add to the menu to meet adult needs.”
II. APPEARANCE
Prepare, Serve, Present…each food attractively for greater appetite appeal
“I think each meal out in detail, so there will be color appeal as well as good eating.”
“When I was a child my father used to say, ‘We should feast the eye as well as the appetite.’ And it has become a tradition with me.”
“In my kitchen windows I have many plants and I alternate them in decorating the table at mealtime.”

So folks: Assuming you can get your kids and their Dad away from the TV or other gadgets during mealtime, maybe you’d like to try making meals like Betty Crocker and her cronies did in 1950. Good luck. See the Ham-and-Egg Pie in a separate blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment