Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sharing Family History


As today was my Dad’s birthday, I thought I’d share a little of his history with you.

This picture was published, but I don’t know in what publication or book it appeared. It shows my Dad’s family. The caption reads:

Seated in front: Theodore Sylvester, left, and Alice Evelyn Emery; first row, from left, Faith Emery, Harlan Sylvester (holding Robert Emery), Sarah Sylvester, Frederic Elmer Sylvester; back row, from left, James Emery (holding son, Elmer) Clara Emery, Mary {shoud be Mary Sue} Emery, Ida E. Sylvester (holding daughter, Ruth).

Frederic and Ida were Dad’s mother and father. Ruth was his sister. His other sister, Frederica, is not pictured. His dad died very young and my dad was eventually absorbed into the Emery side of the family when he was growing up.

Tell me why everyone is so stern in this picture. It appears that my Dad and his Dad are sharing a private joke as they both have the same smirk on their faces. I’ll bet my Dad got his great sense of humor from his Dad. My Dad always liked to be in front when pictures were taken. It could be that that habit started with this picture.



I think my Dad was in his forties here. It is probably the only professional shot ever taken of him except for family pictures. I believe it was done when he was a high officer in the union over at the Cement Plant in Thomaston. He was in that company’s machinists’ union and often attended conventions outside of Maine. I see he doesn’t have on his signature bow tie and that he is trying his darndest to look serious, but you can still see the devil in him behind the eyes.

My Dad was active in many civic organizations around town. He was also elected to receive the 33rd Degree honor in the Masons. The newspaper story said, “For outstanding contributions to Freemasonry and for dedicated service to humanity, several Maine Masons were recently elected to receive the 33rd Degree honor.”

This picture was taken when he became president of the Golden K Kiwanis Club of Knox County in 1987. He is on the far right.


Happy Birthday, Dad. We all miss you.





No comments:

Post a Comment