Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Poem by Jean Rowling Monroe


My friend and classmate, Jean Rowling Monroe posted this poem on Facebook. I don’t think she’d mind if I shared it with you. She says she wrote it while sitting in a lawn chair in her backyard. I don’t see a title for it. Let’s just call it “Last Days of September” until she gives it a title herself.

Last day of September
Sitting in the warm sun – “soaking up rays”

Feeling the gentle breeze blow through my hair
And kiss my cheeks – before hurrying on to blow leaves across the grass.

Watching sunflowers swaying in the garden
Bending their heads toward the ground

And Puffy white clouds
Floating across a light blue sky.

Listening to the rustling of leaves –
The crows calling back and forth to each other

A mama cow blatting in the barnyard
For her baby.

Watching loved ones coming and going
Husband, son, great-grandson, daughter-in-law.

The bees busy – traveling from one orange and yellow marigold to another –
A tiny butterfly flitting past.

A stack of dirty dishes are calling from inside – but they can wait.
The last “rays” of September are holding me hostage.




No comments:

Post a Comment