Friday, August 19, 2011

Thanks for Coming, Shearer



In Loving Memory 

A. Shearer Simonton

7/24/1940- 8/5/2011

Yesterday, when I opened my copy of The Herald Gazette, I was saddened to learn of the death of a former 1959 classmate at RHS, Shearer Hooper Simonton. She died on Friday, August 5, during Lobster Festival activities, while I was home this summer, but I was not aware of it.

Friday used to be the traditional day for the Sea Goddess Pageant and Coronation. Shearer was a princess in the 1958 pageant and was in fact a finalist. At the time that Shearer participated in the pageant I believe they named first, second, and third runner-ups. I don’t know which one Shearer was.

I played basketball with Shearer in high school. At six feet, she was the tallest player on our team, and that meant, of course, that she became our center. At that time girls only played half-court, with the later introduction of a roving guard, who covered both ends of the floor.

I was a roving guard, which meant I did the most running of anyone on the team. I therefore had the chance to be on the same end of the floor as Shearer when she stood under the basket. There was no three-second rule then, therefore, a player could stand under the basket all she wanted.

We took full advantage of Shearer’s height, which was tall in those days. She would just stand under the basket and wait for one of us to throw the basketball to her. She would then hold it over her head until someone on the opposing team fouled her trying to get to the ball. I don’t ever remember her dribbling the ball. We could only dribble three times in a row, so there was a lot of passing being done.

Shearer was a very feminine girl in spite of her aggressiveness on the basketball floor. She held great pride in her fingernails. Lord help you if you were the cause of her breaking a fingernail while playing the game. The air would be blue around her in such a case.

I also remember the many basketball trips on the bus and us all begging Shearer and her best friend, Barbara Staples, to sing “Blue Moon.” They always sang that song in perfect harmony. Each Kippy Karnival they would sing it for the annual show. When I think of those two classmates, I always think of that song, and vice versa.

As I understand it, Shearer, even though she was very ill, was adamant about attending her 50th class reunion. With a lot of help, she was able to meet that goal. It was probably the last time many of us were to see her. We all took the time to go up to her and say a few words. I squeezed her hand and told her how happy I was to see her there. She was unable to squeeze my hand back and I don’t know as she even recognized me, but that doesn’t matter. I’m glad I was able to see her one last time.

Thanks for coming, Shearer. We will all meet again someday and have an eternal class reunion. We will miss you.

(If you would like to give your condolences to the family, go to
 www.directcremationofmaine.com.)


This picture was contributed by Jean Rowling Monroe. Thanks, Jean



Seated, left to right: Deanna Allard, Hortense Micue, Judy Davis, Barbara Staples. Standing, left to right: Nancy O'Brien, Shearer, Joan Knowlton, Pat Graves, Priscilla (Andy) Smith,Lorraine Beal.




























4 comments:

  1. From Pat Pendleton: You have written such a nice tribute to Shearer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Jean Rowling Monroe: Thanks for sharing this, Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Judy Harriman Chapman: Thanks, Sandra. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Verna Studley Bramhall: Thank you for the memories.

    ReplyDelete