Monday, July 11, 2011

Mechuwana


Remembering
 Mechuwana


Come to camp with me and revisit one of the most beautiful pieces of real estate in the state of Maine. I got to spend two weeks there every summer making lifelong friends along the way. My cousin Diane and I were among the first campers to attend this camp on Lower Narrows Lake in Winthrop, Maine, just above Augusta.

It was 1949 and we were nine-years-old as we attended the first “Junior Camp” from July 30-August 13. It was the first time I had ever been away from home for any extended amount of time. The only place I ever stayed overnight in those days was on the farm in Bremen where cousin Diane lived.

I was then a shy child who warmed up to strangers slowly. I was very happy to have my cousin with me to fall back on. She was much braver than I. Our parents left us standing on the porch of the main building, which we called the lodge. We were dressed alike in one-piece outfits that had short pants. They were like overalls, but made for kids, with metal fasteners on the bib part. I felt very vulnerable and clung close to Diane.

An adult came up to us and asked if we were twins as we were dressed alike. Of course we said, “Yes, we’re twin cousins.” I don’t remember who the adult was, but we later learned that all adults in the camp were called “aunt” and “uncle.” They wanted us all to feel like a family, and we did.

This “uncle” asked if we would like to take our turn as waitresses for the evening meal. Everyone had that duty during their stay. I think he could see I especially was scared and this might be a way for me to meet my fellow campers and feel more at ease with the place. It worked.

I ended up attending that camp every consecutive year thereafter, even attending Senior Camp as a teenager. I was also a junior counselor one summer for a couple weeks. I still keep in touch with one of the friends I made there. She came up to see me in Maine a couple summers ago.


The camp was also known as Methodist Church Camp at that time. This is the logo I remember to reflect that name. I used to sign letters to fellow campers during the school year with my name and a handwritten form of this logo. The name Mechuwana was adopted soon after it opened. Although it sounds like an Indian name, it is only partly Indian. It means: MEthodist CHurch WA (an Indian name for deity) and NAture.

If you are looking for a place to send your child to summer camp, I suggest you consider Mechuwana. A lot has changed since I attended. They now have many specialty camps to choose from. You do not have to be Methodist to attend Mechuwana and what is special about this Christian camp is that they don’t constantly hit you over the head with religion. Each camper is left to find their own spiritual self. I found my belief in every tree and that beautiful lake as well as the loons who came out at dusk to search for fish.

Scholarships are also available. Please go to your local Methodist Church to ask for details. The policy of Camp Mechuwana is to not turn any child away who wants to attend camp.

Meanwhile, please look at these two videos. Just copy and paste the URLs into your browser.


http://youtu.be/0LCNE6ppr9Q

http://youtu.be/aWIjh5sqlTQ


This is a copy of the lyrics to the Mechuwana song. It probably was attached to the side of one of the administration buildings at camp although I don’t remember seeing it. The folks singing it in this video are at camp for a 50th reunion I believe. I should know many of these people, but sadly, I don’t recognize any of them.

Here are the words to that song. I include them to remind all of my old camper friends who may be reading this of the song we sang most every day we were at camp and the last time we sang it for that year was always a sad time with not a few tears shed.

Mechuwana

Remember the times you’ve had here.

Remember when you’re away.

Remember the friends you’ve made here

And don’t forget to come back someday.

Remember beside the camp fire.

The sky and the lake so blue.

That you belong to Mechuwana

And Mechuwana belongs to you
.
Oh Spirit of Mechuwana

Beneath these cathedral trees.

We worship by cross and altar

For thou art Lord God of all of these.

Oh guide us through field and forest

O’re paths that we all have trod.

For we belong to Mechuwana.

And Mechuwana belongs to God.

Happy Camping Memories and Thanks for Listening.















No comments:

Post a Comment