Monday, October 4, 2010

The Fall of the Year





In the fall of the year folks up New England way like to be outdoors as much as possible before the long days of winter close in on them. Because you had such a warm summer this year, I expect you are ready for the 50 and 60 degree temperatures you are getting now.
Living in the south I almost miss digging out my wool sweaters. They were always so pretty and nice to pull on if the weather suddenly turned windy and brisk.
I do remember enjoying the change in the air. It gave you a lot of energy as I remember. To be outdoors raking leaves; picking apples; or taking a hike along a country road or trail are activities New Englanders often enjoy this time of year.
Do you remember horse chestnut trees and the fun we had with those inedible nuts? I understand the tree is in danger of becoming extinct. Do you know where one of the trees is at this minute?
It is a time of reaping, of collecting the harvest of pumpkins, squash, and Indian corn. It’s the time for a cup of cold cider and for leaf-viewing trips. Buses full of senior citizens are probably arriving to view the foliage as I write.
Of course there are always the football and soccer games to attend on a weekend afternoon. All the colleges have their homecoming activities now and tailgating parties abound.
As I looked through my art work and poetry related to this season, I found some things you might enjoy. The art was done many years ago as was the poetry pieces. I hope you enjoy them.
Autumn Knocked on my Door Today
Autumn knocked on my door today.
It came in its entire splendor,
And in the path of the whistling
Wind, came Jack in all his grandeur.
Jack touched the tips of my maple leaves
To turn them crimson and gold,
And the leaves that fell to grow no more
Flew swiftly to my doorstep.
Autumn knocked on my door today
Bringing warnings of days to come,
While I, watching its silent rain,
Remembered autumns of years gone by.
A certain sadness comes of this season
Recalling memories all but forgotten.
Autumn knocked on my door today,
And it spoke with its sun upon the land,
“I bring you abundance, glory, and courage to face the winters your soul cannot release.”
I replied only in the silence of my heart
With the contentment of one renewed.
Yes, renewed of hope and courage
To face sad memories perchance they should return.
Autumn knocked on my door today.
Getting Ready for Winter
Autumn wind swept skeleton leaves under my door.
It rattled the windows and wound its wily way
    around to the back yard patio.
Another gust shoed the summer dust away,
   cleaning nature’s house.
I watched an apple fall amongst rusty leaves,
    rolling to nestle with the rest,
    and I noticed the ash tree’s hair
     grows thinner every day.
Tabby’s fur grows thicker now;
The night air stings her nostrils and she
     scratches to come inside to nuzzle
     down into her favorite lap as if to say,
     “I’m ready for winter now.”

     Have a good autumn everyone and thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment