Monday, September 1, 2014

 
Sonny’s Sunshine Corner

HAPPY LABOR DAY, EVERYONE!

Well Butchie survived my trip to Maine just fine even if he was alone for much of the time as Nanci was doing extra duty on her two jobs.

I reported on my trip to Maine last month in my annual “Maine Report” so I won’t repeat it here. It seems, however, that I missed out on the best class reunion ever by all accounts. I’m sorry about that. I would have loved to spend a beautiful Maine summer day with my 1959 Rockland High School classmates over at the Samoset celebrating our 55th reunion. Looks like they had a good time from all the pictures I’ve seen posted on Facebook. Hopefully I won’t miss the next one.

I didn’t know about the reunion until I had already purchased my plane tickets for my annual trip home. I also had some business to attend to during that time so coupled with the fact that I was wheelless because of my expired license and trying to cope with bad legs and a bad foot, things were pretty hectic.

I did get to spend some time with family and with a long-time Connecticut friend I haven’t seen in five years. We got to spend some time down at the cottage together.

By the way, I did get my license renewed for five years as soon as I could when I got home. I don’t have to wear glasses anymore to drive either according to the eye test I took. I had a letter from my doctor just in case testifying to the fact that he had “fixed” my cataracts so that I didn’t need glasses for distance. Therefore, my terrible license picture has me glassless for the first time since I got my first license about 50 years ago. As the examiner said as I called out the letters in fine order on the eye test machine, “Your doctor was right.”

This month will mark the 5th anniversary of this blog, from “On Being a Southender” to the present blog “Beyond the South End.” See a special story about the development of my blog this month.

Readership is now up over 50,000 on the blog site. The last three blogs posted on Village Soup received 750 hits. That site usually gets at least 200-300 hits a month for each story posted. Thanks to all my blog friends for hitting the ads for me. Keep up the good work.

The usual features will continue this month including Ted’s Fish and Chips, Thomaston Library News, any Sail Museum news there is, Recipe of the Month, and of course this one, Sonny’s Sunshine Corner.

Not sure what else you will get this month in the way of stories. It’s possible my foot operation may occur sometime during the month which means I may be out of commission for a while. I will let you know in that event.

Butchie meows a grumpy hello to everyone. He looks forward to a bigger place which he can run around in better and where he can roam outdoors for the first time in his life. Don’t we all. See you next time.


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment