Saturday, February 1, 2014



Kendall Merriam was born and raised in Rockland, Maine. He has a history degree from Gordon College in Wenham, MA and graduate studies in military and maritime history at the University of Maine at Orono and Mystic Seaport in Mystic, Conn. He also received grants to study historical research at Colonial Williamsburg and the National Archives in Washington, D.C. Merriam has been widely published, including in Katyn W Literaturze(Katyn in Literature), a Polish anthology of literary works about the WWII Katyn Forest Massacre by 120 international authors, including Czeslaw Milosz. Merriam has written more than twenty books and plays. Most of Merriam’s work has a definite muse – family, friends, and strangers – with life’s larger themes of work, love, loss and death. On April 29, 2010, Merriam was appointed Rockland, Maine’s Inaugural Poet Laureate, an honor from his hometown Merriam cherishes.

A POEM FOR ALEXIS WRIGHT

An Apology from the Men of the World

I have women friends
Who were sexually abused
When they were children
Or teenagers
So frightening
So damaging to the soul
What you did
Is not wrong, not revenge
For what happened to you
As a child
What the judge, the prosecutors
Said about you
Was fallacious
Why they said them
I have no idea
Why they gave you 10 months
And a huge fine
Is not understandable
I think you are a good person
Suffering from the touching of men
I do not know why women
Are not defending you
If they, themselves, have been abused
Or have friends who were
A woman friend thinks
You should have a book, a movie deal
If you wanted to go through
It all again
But you may want
To go to the beach
And enjoy the redeeming sun

Kendall Merriam  at my brother’s house 6/1/13  3:33  PM
Listening to the cat eating

CARLOS SANTANA WINS MEDAL

                  For Parker

Every time I listen to his music
I think of you
Maybe you are playing
In his band
Or perhaps in one of
The Muscle Shoal’s back up groups
Or maybe Joni Mitchell
Took you by the hand
Made you her drummer and lover
I never saw you dead
All possibilities are open
All those times you ran away
Perhaps you were just looking
To sit in in some bar
And prove what you could do
On a full set
Not the split conga
That I bought for you
One Christmas in Boston
For $12.00
Our parents couldn’t understand
The need for music
In your mind, heart and soul
Were you listening to sounds
From somewhere else
In our brilliant, giant Universe
Are you playing now
In Jesus’ night club
With pretty women
Eyeing you from the audience
Wanting to take you home!

Kendall Merriam, Home, 12/9/13  8:42  PM
Listening to “The Best of Santana”

ON COLD MOUNTAIN

Up on Cold Mountain
the Devil has roared by
searing my soul with his cold fire
his white angels
have stabbed me with their
icy glass daggers
tied me down with white cloths
locked me in a white cell
yet my mind was not imprisoned
with his pain and poison
it roamed from Siberia
to the Enchanted
listened to whale chants
and
tasted forbidden wine
You put me on Cold Mountain
Cold Mountain is your master
Cold Mountain is my prison
you intend to build terraces
and plant soil holding trees
to preserve Cold Mountain
so you can continue
to offer up our bodies
I intend to tunnel under Cold Mountain
and plant charges
to call on wind and river
to wear Cold Mountain away
if my mind still wanders
it is still escaping from Cold Mountain
I pray you understand this
and why I must tear your altar down
and you must give us up
as your sacrifice
and go back to tilling the fields
while we, your prisoners,
carry Cold Mountain away
on our backs

Kendall A. Merriam

A TYPEWRITER SONG

For Phyllis

My wife, Phyllis
Bought this machine for me in 1970 or ‘71
It turned me from an amateur
Onto the long road as a professional
Writing all the poems, plays and stories
People tell me they like
It gives them something to enjoy
I love the clicking and clacking
That I first heard at the Courier-Gazette office
Where they set the type
With hot lead machines
Now I have a view across the Head of the Bay
Much better than any screen saver
Today, snow and wind
Yesterday, the glamour of sunlight
Sometimes moon or stars
Sometimes brilliant dry lightning
Over the Mussel Ridges
Sometimes I think I have no control
Over the keys
They tell me which one to push
I just take the cover off, put in the paper
And turn on the music
Write the title, write the muse
And type down to the bottom of the page
If I don’t make too many mistakes
It takes about a half an hour
Some poems are personal, some public
The latter are copied
At Huston-Tuttle where for the 10 cent miracle
I can deliver them down Main Street on my poetry route
So, Phyllis’s $l25.00 investment
Those many years ago, has given me meaning in my life
And perhaps new knowledge about heart and mind

Kendall Merriam   Home April l, 20ll  5:36 PM
Listening to Rod Stewart “The Great American Songbook  Vol. 1”

LANCOME
For the Order Lady, Order Number#LAN_01481755

Thank you for taking my order
It was a bit complicated
But worth it
You were so polite
In a vexing situation
My wife is beautiful
With silver hair
She ran out of perfume
Just yesterday
She used Antilope in Paris
Opium back in the states
Neither is available in Maine now
So one day we were in
A Rite Aide drug store
In Camden, Maine
And I saw in a yellow box
Poeme
Which I had to buy
Being a poet
She adopted it immediately
But now we can’t get it
So I called you
With your beautiful voice
Are you from Paris?
Lancome is fortunate
To have you as a representative
So feeble men like me
Who know nothing about perfume
Just to order the best
So thank you for helping me
To do that

Kendall Merriam, Home 1/4/14 6:33 PM
Listening to supper cook and Phyllis talking to Clare on the phone








  







No comments:

Post a Comment