Wednesday, May 1, 2013


Kendall says these "moon" poems were written from his father's bedroom window on Mechanic Street.


 
CLEAR, CLEAR MOON

 
For Lauryn Hottinger

 
This moon rose red across the harbor

Now clear as a silver dollar

I have your music on

Will it last as long as this poem?

It cannot match your beauty

Or smoothness of voice

The tingle of the guitar

Why has God given us such beauty

When we don’t deserve it

Both your beauty

The moon’s beauty

That silent one

Is only caught by one giant maple

Soon will be able to fly

Unrestricted by anything

Earth can cast out trying to grasp

This Holy Orb

What sin we committed there

Walking these

Voicing irrelevant words

Think of the healing that could have been done

With the monies

Just to beat out various red enemies

Life is funny

As soon as you see a beautiful woman

She disappears

As this moon will do

In short order

The sky will be dark

Except for tiny stars and planets

I hope you never fade away

That you will be singing

And posing for the camera

Just remember you are an immortal Goddess

On Stephen’s Mount Olympus

That you, through and beauty

Have I used that word too many times

In your poem, your loveliness

Is anyone else

Looking into your life

Around the moon

Will you make everyone

See the charm of earth

As you light it up

In a shining path

 

Kendall Merriam, Home, April 25, 2013 10:25 PM

Listening to LaurynHottinger “A New Kind of Breathing”

And Jr. Walker and the Allstars “Greatest Hits”
 
WILD HORSES’ MOON
 For Lyn Cowan
 
I saw your moon
All the way back to Rockland
Orange now silver
As I look out my window
Your speech about horses
Was the best I have heard
On any subject
Sea Biscuit Indeed!
Breaker of hearts
Are you sure you are not a horse yourself?
I try to be when I can
Invariably eating oats for breakfast
Dressing to the music of the Gypsy Kings
Worried about four year olds
Being slaughtered
And sent to Canada for food
I will send you other poems
About horses
That I know about
I sat on a horse for five minutes
When I was in the eighth grade
And never chose to do so again
Even though I’ve had the opportunity
Did you know that at the beginning of WWII
Polish cavalry troopers
Shot their mounts
So the Germans wouldn’t have them
To haul gun carriages, ammunition
There is an ad on television
By the BSF railroad company
That gives glimpse
Of a herd of wild horses
Racing beside the train
It is so good that now
Pickup trucks and vans
Have taken the drudgery
Of the carters
I wonder how many horses are watching this moon
In Arabia, Mongolia or Iceland
Do they judge as we do
A symbol of beauty
Or the end of a heavy day
Filled with dogs and wolves
Thank you for consecrating my evening
With God’s most important creature
 
Kendall Merriam, Home, April 26, 2013 12:00 AM
Listening to “Beignets and Coffee” compiled by Rebecca Hill
 
TELEVISION MOON
 
For Phyllis
 
The moon is orange
Almost half gone
I write this for my wife
She is from the 19th Century
Amazed by the little theatre
In the back living room
Even though we only have basic
It gives her many choices
She doesn’t have to dress
It’s near the kitchen
For drink and sustenance
She likes to see England
In her shows
Grand houses, grand murders
Interspersed with a glance
At her store, new ideas for shoes
She is far too polite
To watch the moon undressing
And never comments
About high tides, just low
She is not a musical person
Though she did play a recorder once
In the family band
Her family is all gone now
Sometimes I wonder
If she hopes to see her family
Perhaps they all have moved
To England
Working at the Royal Shakespeare
Under the guidance of the television moon

 
Kendall Merriam,  Home, April 29, 2013  12:02 AM
Listening to the “Best of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young”


ROMA MOON

 

For All Roma Across the Earth

 

I sit at my father’s tin accounting desk

And stare at the moon

Directly full above the Head of the Bay

Where it creates a path of silver light

I do not know if I have ever met

A Roma man, woman or child

But I love them nonetheless

For their persecuted freedom

For their sense of knowledge of the world

And their music and dance

Gina, you may think we are far too small

In this tiny, backwater city

To know much of life

But tonight

At the local Strand theater

we saw on HD

A performance of Garde’s

“Blood Wedding” and “Suite Flamenca”

We wanted it to go on and on

But finally could tell the dancers

Musicians and vocalists

Were exhausted

As we came out of the theater

There was a brilliant full moon

Which we had not seen developing

For it had been cloudy for weeks

I do not know what else to tell you

I hope you approve of my lancing

The boil of hatred

Of Levant and all the many

Enemies of the Roma

I do not know if I believe in God

So I do what I can on this old typewriter

like the one my wife bought more than twenty years ago

I have learned not to be afraid

And say anything I want to anyone

Who is trampling on the rights

And the very lives of others

Living on this endangered planet


Kendall Merriam, Home,

April 24, 2013 11:46 PM

  

 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment