Sunday, June 19, 2011

You Were My Training Wheels

Ted Sylvester, Sr, in his Deputy Sheriff Uniform

You Were My Training Wheels

You ran beside me the first time I got on my bike…
I fell off.
You picked me up and put me back on the bike…
You ran beside me again.
I got my balance.
I was a bike rider.
You were my training wheels.
You taught me patience and perseverance.

You stood over a big field of clover…
Bent over, and picked the one four-leaf clover in the bunch
You taught me to observe and enjoy nature.

I lay on top of the lake water on my belly.
It was over my head and I didn’t know how to swim.
You held out your strong arms and held me up under the water.
I learned to tread water…then took my first baby stroke.
I was a swimmer.
You were my water wings.

You taught me life skills.
You taught me how to fish…
How to hold a hammer…
How to row a boat…
And when I sat on your big lap,
You taught me what the big words in my book were.
You taught me to love life.

I held your hand as we went to visit the widow ladies.
You helped me to tell them about my school, my activities…
Because they were lonely sometimes and loved company.
You taught me compassion, kindness.

You took me to the DMV to take my driving test.
I stopped on a hill, shifted and continued…
Then I went through two stop signs.
I didn’t come to a complete stop.
I failed the test.
You said, it’s ok, you can try again soon.
I did.
I was a driver.
You taught me that failure isn’t forever.

You walked into Newberry’s with me,
And introduced yourself to the manager,
You shook his hand with a strong grip,
And a smile on your face,
“This is my daughter,” you said,
“She needs a job. Do you have one for her?”
The manager did.
I had my first job.
You taught me to stand up for myself,
To deal with things head on.
You were my personal trainer.

You always read to me.
You were always a reader yourself.
You used to say, “I read about that somewhere…”
You gave me a love of reading…a love of knowledge.

You were my personal snowplow,
My personal mover,
My personal tow truck driver,
My handyman,
Your strong hands fixed what was broken.
You were always there for me when I needed you.

You taught me that families stick together,
That we need to help others when we can.
You taught me the history of things.
I learned the basics of printing from you.
You are still teaching me.
I just close my eyes and say to myself…
How would Daddy fix this?
What would he do about this situation?

You used to brag about my accomplishments
I think you’d be proud of the way I turned out.
I know you are watching me and grinning and laughing your big laugh,
The same as always.
You taught me well, my dear Father,
Thank you and Happy Father’s Day.
                                     ---Sandra Sylvester, June 2011

(Happy Father’s Day to all you Dads out there and especially those who are serving overseas in the Armed Services today.)









No comments:

Post a Comment