Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Harlan Sylvester's Art Exhibit at Thomaston Library-Guest Blog - Brian Sylvester




Photo by Brian Sylvester

The following is a press release I received from my great-nephew, Brian Sylvester, who is head librarian at Thomaston Public Library. Harlan was my brother and his great-uncle. Following the press release I have added photos from my own private collection of Harlan's work. Many of his pictures also featured Maine subjects. I have also included a photo of the book cover he designed for Home Front on Penobscot Bay, Rockland During the War Years, 1940-1945

The Thomaston Public Library unveiled the next exhibit in the ongoing
Community Displays Program this March with a display of artwork by the
late Harlan Lee Sylvester, of Thomaston.  A sampling of Sylvester's body
of work, including oil paintings, watercolors, and acrylic paintings,
will be on display in the library from March 1st to April 11th.


Harlan Sylvester was born and grew up in Rockland before joining the Air
Force and serving during the Korean War. He settled down in Thomaston
with his wife, Kay Sylvester, where they raised two daughters. He worked
for 27 years at the Maine State Prison, and was an active member of the
American Legion and the Midcoast Community Band.

Sylvester was a self-taught artist and worked primarily with
watercolors. He won numerous prizes and recognitions in amateur artist
events at the Maine Lobster Festival and the Union Fair, and enjoyed
giving artwork as gifts to his friends and to benefit charitable
organizations. He passed away in August of 2006.

The paintings are now owned by Kay Sylvester, a member and current vice
president of the Thomaston Public Library Board of Trustees. The display
showcases artwork with a southwestern theme and features desert scenes.
For more information about the community displays program, call the
library at 354-2453.


This is the book cover Harlan designed.


This watercolor was painted in 2004.


Harlan did this watercolor of the cats I had in 1995.
 From left to right, Willie, Sissy, the Manx inside my shirt,
 and Tiny, a long-haired calico.
 He had never attempted to paint animals before this.


This is a watercolor Harlan did of our family crest.


Harlan did this watercolor of "The Baum House" in 1955 at age 16.  I have a copy of the original done on ordinary paper which my brother Ted owns.The original was done in very basic watercolors such as a child uses. It was saved in another program so I cannot show it in color here. This is the view we saw across the field on Mcloud Street when we were growing up. You can see the beginnings of his talent here. This same picture is found in the masthead of this blogspace, as well as on the cover of my 2009 blog CD. I also use it as  wallpaper on my computer. I see something different every time I look at it. It has a very nostalgic feel to it and it reminds me of those carefree days in the old neighborhood in the South End. Most of all, it reminds me of my dear brother Harlan, who I miss very much.



1 comment:

  1. Sister Sara wrote: "Amen! I miss him still, especially here in AZ. I cherish the picture he did of our house here in AZ in watercolor. I have it in CT to remind me of what I have to return to each winter. Kim {her daughter} had one of her and Dad raising the flag at Spruce Head done from a photo. People visiting her often comment on it. He was a true talent and is missed. I hope the people of Thomaston enjoy his work."

    ReplyDelete