Saturday, August 28, 2010

State of the Union (Fair)

(The following is a review of the Union Fair from my friend and former classmate, Jean Rowling Monroe. I have edited her comments and will add my own in the Comment Section below. Please feel free to do the same. Jean also sent pictures but I can’t use them because they were not sent as separate attachments in an email. If you have pictures to share, please send them as attachments.)

Fred and I went to the Union Fair last night (after getting back from his step-mother Charlotte's birthday party - she's 91). As usual, on the week of the Union Fair (last full week of August) - the nights turn chilly - and I was very glad I had taken my coat. It even rained for awhile - and I sat out (on my "new" scooter) and got soaked watching the fireworks - with my friend Dot.

Fred {Jean’s husband} and Dot's son, Brian (smartly) stayed back under the roof of a small booth to watch the fireworks, and didn't get wet. I thought they might have some "ground" works that I wouldn't be able to see from back there - so I headed right down to the fence to watch them, and Dot followed me in her motorized chair. We were pretty cold and wet by the time they were over - and looked forward to getting to our vehicles, turning the heaters on, and getting warmed up on the way home.

The Union Fair for years was a wonderful "wind-up" of summer in these parts - with barns full of cattle and other animals on display, lots of competitions, great displays of garden produce, hand work, photography, painting, flowers, baking, canning, etc. - a real old fashioned "county fair". They used to say, "All roads lead to the Union Fair" - and there was always LOTS of traffic headed that way - and long lines waiting to get in. No more. Not much cattle - not much for interesting competitions, no famous singers (in the past there have been some good ones). I got a "special" signed photograph from Jeannie C. Riley years ago.

It was raining - and the fireworks didn't start for awhile yet - so I thought I'd be able to take my time and look everything over in the exhibition hall until the fireworks started. They locked it up at eight o'clock! I always loved looking at all the art work and photography - checking out to see who did them (a lot of my friends enter their work) - but this year they had it all "cordoned off" so I couldn't read the tags to see who did them! Where my favorite "ice cream parlor" used to be - there was a political booth! Dot and her family have worked the fairs for years - with their lemonade stand, cotton candy, and fried dough. Her son Brian told us that many of the vendors, who have been coming with their cotton candy, lemonade, fried dough, homemade fudge, etc. for almost 30 years - are so upset with the way they are running the fair now that they aren't coming back next year.

On a positive note, Fred and I had a nice supper at the King Family Cookhouse. He got the last of the roast beef dinner specials for $6.00 - and I had a turkey dinner for $9.00 - with "real" mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, cole slaw and bread. And, we saw lots of friends to "visit" with. I was glad I went, even if I couldn't see who entered their art work and photography—Jean

1 comment:

  1. Even though we are now "going green" and buying our produce from local farmers, I am not sure that positive posture carries over to attendance at the Union Fair. I do not have the attendance records or final report on the fair this year, but I expect they felt the brunt of the economic times the same as everyone else. This was the 141st Union Fair and Maine Wild Bluberry Festival. Let's hope the tradition continues. Fairs are typically local affairs and don't usually depend on the tourist dollar. The Union Fair isn't exactly on a major tourist route. Most tourists at this point in the season are thinking toward fall and winter activities, getting their kids in a school "frame of mind" and getting back to their lives back home. Many of our tourists have already left and the rest will be gone soon too along with their money. Can our Maine folks afford continued support of these fairs? Another problem Fairs may face is competing with all the high tech activities people, especially children, are drawn to today. Many modern children would much rather be at a real amusement park or playing video games etc. Old traditions die hard. Let's hope the Union Fair and the entire Fair system endures for many years to come.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete